The Piedmont <<PEED mont>> Region is an area of gently rolling and hilly land between the Appalachian Mountains and the Atlantic Coastal Plain of the United States. It was named for the Piedmont region in Italy. The Piedmont Region covers about 80,000 square miles (207,000 square kilometers). It ranges in elevation from 300 feet (91 meters) above sea level in the east to 1,200 feet (366 meters) in the west.
Tobacco is grown widely in the Piedmont Region. The Piedmont cities of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and Richmond, Virginia, account for about half of the total cigarette production in the United States. The Piedmont section of Virginia and Pennsylvania is fine apple-growing country.The dairy industry is important in the northern Piedmont. Furniture manufacturing is a major industry in the central Piedmont. The southern Piedmont is the leading U.S. cotton-textile producing area.
Incoming search terms:
- georgia piedmont region attractions
- piedmont in the United Stas
- Piedmont map of United States
- rivers in the us piedmont
- tourist attractions in the GA piedmont region
- places to visit in the piemont regionof georgia
- places to visit in the piedmont region of ga
- appalachian mountains piedmont USA
- places tourists would visit in piedmont major