In 1679, Quaker farmers led by Mahlon Stacy established the first permanent white settlement in what is now the Trenton area. In 1714, Mahlon Stacy, Jr., sold part of his father’s property to William Trent, a merchant. The community was named Trent’s Town in 1719, and its name later became Trenton.
In December 1776, during the American Revolution, George Washington made his famous crossing of the Delaware River near Trenton. Trenton served as the capital of the United States in November and December 1784. It became the capital of New Jersey in 1790 and received a city charter in 1792.